Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Do religion and politics mix?

Huckabee, whose religion thinks Catholics aren't Christians, says we need to amend the Constitution to bring it more in line with God, posted Jan. 15 on "AMERICAblog," addresses comments from Huckabee concerning his beliefs and laws he wants to change. Specifically, he wants to change to Constitution to ban abortion and gay marriage. These are two things that I would love and support completely if said changes were ever attempted. But, his argument for these changes are that they conflict with the Word of God and we should change the way we live instead of trying to change God's standards. Being a Christian I, once again, totally agree with his reasoning and with what he wants to do. The problem that arises is that these are all good and true goals for Christians and the church to pursue, but I'm not positive that its sound reasoning in running for political office. I do believe in the importance of separation between church and state, this is for a number of reasons I'm not going to cover, and going with that line of thought I don't believe that a political candidate should base his campaign and claim that possible laws he'll set in place will be for the soul reason of religious beliefs. This is because this could be a dangerous step towards a theocracy. And once things go in this direction, religious views and doctrine will come up against and possibly be compromised with anti-Christian political issues (sorry, I know I said I wasn't going to try an touch on the huge topic of the importance of separation of church and state, but this is all I'll say). Before I finish, I would like it to be clear that I'm am not putting down the ideals or plans of Huckabee, in fact I fully hope that he would succeed in his plans if he is elected president, but I think it’s out of place to campaign for political office with religious reasoning as the only basis for argument and that there are plenty of other good reasons and general moral reasons to go against abortion and gay marriage.

4 comments:

Haley said...

I totally agree with you. I comment somewhat on my blog about this issue, but i don't think my came out nearly as clearly as yours. It would be a cool thing to see done, but it most likely won't help him to get elected.

Carson Lee said...

It seems that the more you like it to change, the less chance that candidate will get elected. I, for one, really want something done with social security, but we all know any candidate that even MENTIONS SS change will lose all the votes from the AARP, which basically means they'll never get elected.

Holly said...

I do not agree that gay-marriage should be banned. This is a free country, remember? Uniting two men or two women in marriage will not hurt anyone else, unlike abortion. Our country was founded on Christian values, but not everyone who lives here is a Christian. There are other religions represented here, too.

nateofkandern said...

I would disagree with holly in that gay-marriage does not harm anyone else. The damage goes beyond just those two people. It affects possible adopted children in a very negative way, being raised in a way that children are not meant to be. It also damages the idea of the family institution which civilization is built on, dragging it further into a concept of what feels good at the moment instead of a morally grounded lifelong commitment and place of support.